Sweet Potato Egg Casserole
- 1 medium sweet potato, scrubbed clean
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1/2 tablespoon dried rosemary
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons butter
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups spinach, thinly sliced
- 8 large eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 cup shredded cheese
- 1/4 cup sliced green onions (optional)
- Heat oven to 375°F, and line a baking sheet with parchment.
- Thinly slice the sweet potato, place in a mixing bowl, and toss with 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Sprinkle in the rosemary and sea salt, and mix well again.
- Spread the sweet potatoes on the lined baking sheet, and roast for 20 minutes. Flip them over and roast for another 5 minutes. Remove from the oven, and set aside. Turn the oven up to 400°F.
- In a small saucepan over medium-low heat, melt together the butter and 1/2 tablespoon olive oil. Stir in the garlic, and sauté until softened, about 1–2 minutes. Continue stirring to keep from burning. Stir in the spinach. Cook over medium-low for another 2-3 minutes, until wilted. Remove from heat, and set aside.
- Grease a 9-by-9-inch baking dish, and layer the potatoes evenly on the bottom. Cover them with the spinach, and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs and milk, then pour over the potatoes and spinach. Sprinkle on the shredded cheese.
- Bake for 25 minutes, until the center is set. Turn the broiler to high, and broil for 2 minutes to crisp up the top.
- Let sit for 5 minutes before slicing. Garnish with sliced green onions.
Serves: 4 | Serving Size: 1 slice
Per serving: Calories: 340; Total Fat: 22g; Saturated Fat: 8g; Monounsaturated Fat: 8g; Cholesterol: 454mg; Sodium: 564mg; Carbohydrate: 12g;
Dietary Fiber: 2g; Sugar: 2g; Protein: 21g
Nutrition Bonus: Potassium: 436mg; Iron: 7%; Vitamin A: 140%; Vitamin C: 16%; Calcium: 97%
Source: The Honour System